Pages

Friday, June 22, 2012

The True Shepherd


In John 10:1-21, Jesus is trying to teach the Pharisees what it means to be a good shepherd.  The Pharisees considered themselves the rightful shepherds of Israel.  But as Jesus pointed out, a true shepherd enters the pen through the gate, with the watchman opening the gate because he knows him.  True shepherds don’t climb in some other way like a common thief. 

The Pharisees were like the robbers, appointing themselves in charge, seeking to rule over the Jews, taking what wasn’t rightfully theirs, while doing everything they could to hinder people from accepting Jesus as the Messiah.  Jesus is the True Shepherd, entering the gate that was opened before him by prophecy, messengers, and God himself.

Also true of a good shepherd is that the sheep recognize his voice and follow him.  With Jesus as our shepherd, we’re to do the same thing.  Know him.  Recognize his voice.  Follow his lead.  This means cultivating a relationship with him, listening, and obeying what he says.  Jesus knows each of us personally and intimately.  He wants us to know him the same way.

True shepherds lead their sheep, they don’t drive them.  Jesus doesn’t ask us to go anywhere he hasn’t first gone himself.  He knows what we’re facing – been there, done that – and cares. 

And true sheep follow.  Although, often times we forget that, or at least I do.  I try to lead myself, and that’s where I get off track staying far away from the fold.  Thankfully Jesus is pursues us and guides us back to the flock, as each and every sheep is precious to him.

True shepherds lay their lives down for their sheep.  Something that a mere hired hand wouldn’t do.  He doesn’t own them, nor does he care about them like the shepherd does.  “I am the good shepherd; I know my sheep and my sheep know me — just as the Father knows me and I know the Father —and I lay down my life for the sheep.” (John 10:14-15)

We become true sheep when we accept Christ as our Savior, when we surrender our lives to him as Lord.  With that comes an increasing desire to follow his lead, and an increasing ability to recognize his voice.  That same ability or instinct is also what helps us flee from strangers or other dangers.  Temptations.  Wolves.  Pharisees.

Too bad these guys didn’t understand.  They thought of themselves good shepherds, when in actuality they were thieves and wolves.  “The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy; I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full.” (John 10:10)

Jesus is our true shepherd.  Are you willing to follow?

No comments:

Post a Comment