Pages

Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Tax Season


The religious leaders had just walked away steaming mad after having been made an example of in Jesus’ parable of the wicked tenants. (Mark 12:1-12)  So next they intentionally sent some Pharisees and Herodians to try to “catch Jesus in his words”.  Here we see two parties typically at odds with each other banding together in an attempt to trap, arrest, and ultimately destroy Jesus.

First they tried to butter Jesus up by praising His integrity and unwavering obedience to God.  Then they challenged Him with a question they expected to cause trouble either way Jesus answered.  Should they pay taxes to Caesar?  Yes or no.  If Jesus said yes, he’d surely alienate the Jews who hated being under Gentile rule.  If he said no, then he’d break the law and be arrested as a traitor. 

With a denarius coin in hand, Jesus asked whose inscription was on it.  Easy.  “Caesar’s” they replied.  “Then Jesus said to them, “Give back to Caesar what is Caesar’s and to God what is God’s.”  And they were amazed at him.”  (Mark 12:17)

Why were folks so amazed, I wonder?  Perhaps because Jesus is confident and unflappable.  Perhaps because He elegantly avoided their trap.  Perhaps because His simple yet wise answer satisfied both parties.  Perhaps because He challenged them to deeper reflection.  In any case, folks were amazed. 

With tax season upon us, I found this passage particularly interesting.  And I was amazed as well.  Jesus’ answer is as simple as it is wise, profound, and convicting.  I’m sure people did pay taxes, giving to Caesar what was owed.  But we’re they giving to God what is God’s?  No.  This is where they fell short.  They disregarded God’s claim on their lives.

The denarius bore Caesar’s image; it belonged to him.  Our dollars bear the image of the US government, so of course we must abide by its laws and pay our taxes. 

We – you and I – bear the image of God.  Therefore, we belong to Him. 

Are you giving God what it God’s?

Am I?  My love.  My prayer.  My time, treasure and talents.  My effort.  My heart, mind, soul and strength…My life.

I was created in the image of God.  So as I give to Obama what is Obama’s, it’s also a timely reminder to be giving to God what is God’s.

No comments:

Post a Comment