Pages

Sunday, January 2, 2011

Nehemiah Prayed

After Nehemiah heard the heart-breaking news about Jerusalem, he mourned, fasted, and prayed before the God of heaven. As I read this, I think about the countless hours I’ve spent in prayer – for Thrive Africa, for Ignite South Africa, for the precious people that God wants to reach with His love. I know that the Lord hears my prayers and that He’s in control of all things. I just need to keep my faith that things will work out according to his perfect plan and timing.

Nehemiah’s prayer began with worship of our great and awesome God. We use the words “great” and “awesome” so much that I think we’ve lost sense of what they really mean. Think about them. And think about how “great” and “awesome” God really is. Wow! Nehemiah expresses thanks for the covenant of love that God has with His people – a covenant that the Lord continues to uphold even as we fall short so often. And as Nehemiah prays, he’s confident that the Lord is present and listening attentively. Wow again! Our great and awesome God hears our prayers. Pretty humbling if you really think about it!

Nehemiah’s prayer continued with confession. Not only did he confess the corporate sins of Israel, but he included himself in it. It’s important for us to recognize the power that both individual and corporate sin can have over us. We all fall short of the glory of God, so as godly leaders we need to lead people in confession, repentance, and forgiveness.

Nehemiah also prayed for himself as a leader. He knew he needed the Lord’s guidance, wisdom, and favor as he went to King Artaxerxes for help. As Believers, I think we all know the importance of prayer as a spiritual discipline. It’s how we talk to and hear from God. It’s critical to maintaining a close relationship with him. But as godly leaders, it’s also one of the most powerful tools in our toolkit. And it’s one we should use first rather than last when making a critical decision or taking a decisive action. I must confess, often times I pray as a last resort, after everything I’ve tried to do on my own has failed. Not only does Nehemiah give us a model for prayer, but he also models godly leadership.

Please pray for us. Please pray for me. Please pray for yourself as a godly leader.

1 comment:

  1. Praying alongside you... and sending a big hug! I miss you!

    ReplyDelete